Different types of materials:
- Journal articles: peer-reviewed, creditionals of the author, quality of the journal, metrics such as number of times article has been cited, impact factors
- Conference papers: most recent developments, not always peer-reviewed and/or some degree of peer-reviewing
- Books – synthesis of information, “big picture.”
- Technical reports – not peer-reviewed but important technical information – often available free.
- Patents - important for technical information (often not available elsewhere)