Eligible High Schools
All Long Beach Unified High Schools
All Los Alamitos Unified High Schools
Other Area Schools:
- Orange County School of the Arts (OCSA)
Out of Area High Schools
Interested in access for your students?
Requests to join the outreach program for high schools in Los Angeles and West Orange County Areas will be considered on a case by case basis. Current School Librarians must submit a request form on behalf of the requesting campus. Processing your request will take approximately 4-6 weeks. If your request is granted your school eligibility will be valid for two years. You will be asked to supply a scanned color copy of a current student ID for verification purposes. Contact the circulation desk at 562-985-5512 for details.
CSULB Library High School Outreach Program
The University Library of California State University, Long Beach, offers junior and senior secondary school students of the Long Beach and Los Alamitos School districts (and other eligible schools) an opportunity to obtain a University Library card. For students who are not graduating, cards may be renewed for one additional year.
The purpose of this program is to provide secondary school students the opportunity to enrich their educational experiences through exploration and use of the wealth of resources in an academic library.
As a high school participant, students may:
- check out up to 10 books at one time
- loan periods are generally for 21 days
- books may be renewed up to four times (if there's no recall)
- items can be renewed in person or electronically through COAST, the Library's online catalog
- use the Spidell Computer lab with a 90 minute Guest Pass available at the Circulation Desk.
- access from home COAST, the University Library online catalog
- access from home the University Library Home Page
- access from home to Research Guides (orientation to resources on a wide variety of topics)
To receive a card:
- be a junior or senior student currently enrolled in an eligible High School
- present your current high school ID card to the University Library Circulation Desk
*Students must know their social security number to receive a card.
Services NOT available to HS Students
The following services are NOT available to high school students:
- interlibrary loan (BeachReach and LINK+ services)
- unlimited use of the Spidell computer lab
- access to Course Reserve materials
- remote access to our licensed databases