Consider these top 5 survey tips to avoid common pitfalls and design a survey that increases the response rate:
1. Limit the number of questions.
2. Ensure that the survey can be completed in under 10 minutes (less is better!).
3. Consider the ratio of closed- to open-ended questions.
4. Consider mode of delivery.
5. Don't ask for personal information.
For more information, see: Questionnaire design: How to plan, structure and write survey material for effective market research.
Google Forms can be used to design anonymous surveys, providing long-form or multiple choice questions, basic Likert-scale answer keys, and basic statistical data
SurveyMonkey can also be used to develop surveys, and a basic version is available for free.