Collection Development Calendar Cycle
A fiscal-year calendar has been established that provides for deadlines and benchmarks for various aspects of the collection development and management process. X Drive > Library Faculty Committees > CDMC > Collection Development Calendar.
Collection Development Calendar
- New fiscal year begins.
- Order processing begins for Reserve requests only.
- Weekly accounting reports for new fiscal year start.
- Collection Development Officer (CDO) asks Technical Services for list of books/media, requested by librarians in previous fiscal year but not ordered/paid for, so Library Faculty and other selectors can decide if they still want the titles. CDO provides deadline for review.
- Deadline for serial cancellations for next calendar year due to Technical Services.
September 1 (est.)
- University budget announced
- Target date for announcement of budget allocations for books and media;
- Submit new subscription requests to CDO to assure Jan. 1 start.
- Most January subscription renewals complete.
- CDMC reviews ILL requests/ Copyright costs to evaluate serial titles for new subscriptions, then send recommendations to the CDO.
- Target date to encumber 75% of book/non-serial funds
- CDMC reviews standing orders on odd years for cancelation.
- Deadline for eBook, book and media requests ordered through direct vendors (GOBI, etc.) to insure payment by end of fiscal year.
- Deadline for any other book and media purchases sent to CDO.
- Reserve requests for books and media for summer classes can be sent to CDO after this date.
- Once funds for all of the above orders are encumbered or committed, the CDO may spend remaining allocated funds on Wish List items identified as high priority by Collection Development & Management Committee, or as directed by the Dean.
April 15-May 15
- CDO provides Library Faculty and other selectors with data for subscription review by April 15.
- Library Faculty and other selectors review subscriptions using usage data and any other considerations to evaluate serial titles for cancelation and/or new subscriptions for next fiscal year, then send recommendations to the CDO.
- List of potential subscription non-renewals provided to Technical Services.
- Most July 1 renewals complete.
- University and library accounts closed; all Order requests received by Technical Services are to be paid from next fiscal year funds unless items have been received prior to June 30; if received prior to June 30 the University requires payment with current year funds.
CDMC Updated June 2020