Los Cerritos Rancho, Library Resources
FOR ADDITIONAL CSULB OPTIONS
- By placing an asterisk* at the end of a search word, you will catch all word variants. So if you type in word*, it will find all subject headings using the terms: word or words or wordiness or wordy or wordsmith, etc. (Don't use the asterisk in a google search. It does not work)
- If you want to force word adjacency or find a phrase, such as "los cerritos ranch"; "bixby land company" but your words in quotation marks as shown.
- If you want synonyms in a search, use OR. The OR should be capitalized. ("rancho los cerritos" OR "rancho los alamitos* OR "rancho los nietos")
FINDING HISTORY BOOKS (print and online)
"rancho los cerritos" "cerritos ranch*" "rancho los alamitos" "alamitos ranch"
"rancho los nietos" "juan temple" "jonathan temple" "bixby land company"*
"manuel nieto" "leonardo cota" "jotham bixby"
- For finding primary materials, use some of these subject keywords below with another topic of interest:
sources personal narrative* interview* diaries oral histor* biograph* correspondence papers letters
- Using any of the above techniques, also conduct the exact same search using CSU+ or LINK+ to find even more materials at nearby CSU libraries. See how to borrow from another library.
- Use WORLDCAT for hard to find books and archival material around the world. It identifies over 100 million titles.
KEY DATABASES TO USE (ONLINE AND PRINT)
Academic Search Complete Comprehensive interdisciplinary access to nearly 3000 scholarly journals.
America History and Life U.S & Canadian History. Scholarly research last 60 years.
American Periodical Series Online 1700-1940
America's Historical Newspapers Online 1680-1870
California Digital Newspaper Collection 1850s to date. Full text California newspapers up to the 1920s, some later.
California Newspaper Archive 1800s to date. Covers some Long Beach and Southern California newspapers up to the 1970s
Dissertations and Theses Full text access.
Hispanic American Newspapers 1800-1980.
Historical Los Angeles Times 1881-1993
Internet Archive 1800s to date. Conduct a "text search" to find thousands of historic full text publications.
JSTOR (Full text online archive to hundreds of scholarly journals dating back to the 1800s.
19th Century US Newspapers Digital Archive 1800-1900
VOAHA: Virtual Oral/Aural History Archive. Local oral history interviews. Listen carefully. Summaries available but no transcripts.
CSULB SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
NON-CSULB WEBSITES FOR RANCHO RESEARCH
Search only within certain Internet domains:
site:edu (for U.S. academic sites)
site:gov (for government sites, city, county, state, federal)
site:org (for nonprofit organizations, museums, institutes)
site:int (for international organizations such as UN
See thie pre-formatted Google Scholar Search to find a range of interdisciplinary scholarly journals. You may be able to open many of these articles if searching on our campus (since it knows our IP address and what we subscribe to.)
Use Google Books to identify a wide array of books that might exist on your topic. You can then check our OneSearch service to see if we own it, or if it can be borrowed quickly.